Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Day 8

Hello Friends

Another day at the shelter and we barely touch a single animal. Gabby and I have posted ourselves out front and we talk to very distraught people on the phone and face to face and urge them to use petfinder.com which we believe is the one saving grace for us all. It’s really the only thing any of these pet owners can hang their hopes on. Just like people, animals have had to go all over the country to find shelter. Since looking at every shelter across the country is pretty much impossible and calling them and describing your cat or dog in detail and having people with the time to check them is futile, petfinder.com is in my opinion, the only hope we have for reuniting people with their lost babies.

I would actually like to spend my remaining time here registering the “owner unknown” pets on petfinder.com, but currently I have so much information in my head that I fear leaving the front of the building where I can really directly help those who need that info. Here, notes and handouts are not read, it’s mostly word of mouth, and as you know, I have a big mouth! See photos in last blog that show “front of arena” happenings. The first picture is of me sitting at my new outdoor phone station. The second photo is of the volunteer and owner check in tables. Beyond those are tables for intake, owner pick-up and what used to be the adoption information. I think I’m the one doing most of the talking about that now.

We have some good news and some bad news. The bad news is that Marsha was not able to take that sweet Dalmation to her home in Savannah, GA when she left today. The good news is that it was because our pet sleuths found his owners. The reunion was sweet and “Percy” seemed pretty happy to see them. Turns out he escaped from a compromised storm damaged fence last week. Lucky for him, Marsha saved him from being taken to animal control. We are sorry that Marsha couldn’t be his new mommy, but she is coming back in a few weeks and she will be adopting another doggie she has had her eyes on.

Another wonderful pet person is Tom Sparks. I call him the DoggieLamma. He is God’s gift to dogs. This man has turned his home into a pet and volunteer hotel and he will be fostering a number of dogs for owners when this shelter requires them to remove their pets on September 30th. He knows every dog in this place and will check on dogs and call out of town owners to put their minds at ease regarding their dogs. He is a saint.

There are lots of saints here. It’s just amazing. And then it’s taxing. I called my homeopathic guru today and she prescribed a remedy to help me with the overall grief that is being experienced here. Juliet, thank you, it helped. The rescue remedy that my other homeopathic guru gave me actually did some real good for a dog who was not eating. The vet put 4 drops in the dog’s water and he began eating immediately. Cynthia, that vet talked to her students about the rescue remedy and I think we have some believers.

Gabby and I are going to try to get away tomorrow to wash some of this stinking laundry. It’s unbelievably hot here. Chrissy, you warned me of the southern heat and I had no idea. You were right. It’s ungodly and we are in the shade. And it’s late September! I can’t imagine how hot it must get here in the summer.

I hear Rita is heading this way. I don’t think we are going to be affected here in Baton Rouge, but I’m deeply concerned if it hits New Orleans again. The people want to get into the city to check their pets and will likely be shut out. Please pray that it blows another way.

Some good news to tell you is that people ARE bringing their animals out of the city every day. One woman who was looking for her cat three days ago was able to return home and brought him in today for us to watch until we close down. It was wonderful to see her with he beloved baby.

Tomorrow a man in San Francisco is having the San Francisco SPCA bring his two cats to him where he is staying in some type of relief housing. A chow named Queenie is also going to San Francisco to be reunited with her owner. I am particularly thrilled because it was me who took the call where with some detective work on the data base, found that the cats were here. He promises to call me as soon as he gets done hugging them. Can’t wait!

Lots of people are going into the city and taking food and water and putting it in the streets to feed the animals who have been left behind. It’s a wonderful thing for people who can’t actually partake in animal rescue to do.

There are lots of amazing stories and I’m sure it will make a great book someday.

Pray for Rita to go another way, and pray for all the pet owners who are missing their babies.

Carol & Bill