Saturday, September 24, 2005

Friday

Hello Friends

Here’s a happy story. A fourteen year old German Shepard mix came in after spending 27 days alone in the house. The owners were finally able to make it home and they were able to bring him in. He was weak and a lot thinner, but still with us. Thank you Jesus!

Finally today, I got my point across about the phone system. The one we had was awful and really needed to have a new menu options list with better information and some other tweaking. It probably won’t go into affect till early next week, but when it does, it will serve so many people so well, it will have been worth the wait.

I have a social worker who will be helping me at the phone desk. She is very compassionate and will be good for the people who come in distraught looking for their pets.

Petfinder.com revamped it’s data base system to allow for people to search animals by breed, cutting down on the viewing of thousands of unnecessary listings that don’t pertain to the animal people are trying to find. Gabby is thrilled because it’s the one real flaw to the system.

Tonight around 6:30 PM, the power went out. Hurricane Rita is making her way across Baton Rouge. We are not expecting any winds that our rig can’t withstand so we are hanging here. I guess LSU thought it would be bad enough to cancel tomorrow’s game though. It actually is refreshing because the rain really cooled things off.

I guess I’m going to be allowed to go to the big meetings now. The passing of information around here isn’t the greatest and I have ended up learning of most things from the people who call or come up to the desk. Gabby made a pitch that I should attend, and the powers that be agreed. Hopefully I can keep my mouth shut and not tick anyone off.

While I know things are running the best way they probably can, I’m not thrilled with some of the way things are being done. Having been on the outside of the information has caused me frustration beyond belief. Now that I will be at the meetings, I will be able to understand why some things are as they are and that will make it easier to swallow the things I personally don’t agree with.

We are so glad we are here. It’s hard sometimes, but we wouldn’t want to be anyplace else.

Every night after the hustle and bustle of the place slips into a quiet lull and the majority of the volunteers have left, I go and take monkey out of his cage and love on him. Tonight I kissed him on the face and got a pucker full of kitty drool. Since I met my hairdresser’s cat, Owen who was a drooler, I’ve always wanted a kitty with a slight drool. Owen’s drooling was a little bit of a problem because he did it all the time. Seems like monkey only drools when he is being given love and attention. I hope to make him drool a lot for the rest of his little kitty life.

Thanks for reading, sending prayers and for all of your support. We feel it out here! And it’s appreciated greatly.

Carol & Gabby